Car racing as a sport is enjoyed by millions all over the world. However, one should remember that an excellent racing track makes the experience even more challenging and thrilling. Meticulous planning and excellent design capabilities contribute towards an interesting and intriguing racetrack for automobiles.
Some basic essential metrics should be considered while designing a racetrack as mentioned below:
• Race Line: The most important aspect that is essential in car racing is the race line, which determines the course of the race.
• Clipping Point: It is a particular point that decides the shortest route that might be taken by a driver based upon the starting and the finishing points.
• Track Width: It determines the number of cars that can traverse at a single point on the track simultaneously.
• Camber: It is the factor on which the roll angle and pitch of the road is determined. This factor affects the ability or the inability of the car to turn in to a corner. The common terms ‘off-camber’ and ‘on-camber’ are associated with the racetracks.
• Height Variation: This factor has two effects on the events of racing one is creation of asymmetrical balance and another one is creation of relief, tension along with the occasional ‘vista moment’.
Besides the above said factors, various elements are also included in the design of a car racetrack. The first is the selection of material that would constitute the racetrack like concrete, tarmac, asphalt, etc. The track layout is also quite important while designing a racetrack to keep the sport interesting.